Border Crossing

If you are looking for a relaxing vacation, Dumoine Lake Cottages is your nature spot

Entry Into Canada


American citizens must present proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate, citizenship card, naturalization card or photo identification (such as a driver’s licence), in order to enter Canada. If you are a permanent resident of the United States, you must bring your Permanent Residency Card with you. Visitors from other countries must be in possession of a valid national passport.

When travelling with children, parent(s) or guardian must carry each child’s birth certificate. When only one parent is travelling with the child(ren), he or she should carry written permission from the other parent. Divorced parents who share custody should also carry copies of the legal custody documents. Adults who are not parents or guardians should have written permission from parents or guardians to supervise the children.

For more information about entry into Canada, please visit the Canada Border Services Agency website.

Notice to US Visitors

ALL persons, including U.S. citizens, traveling by air between the United States and Canada are required to present a valid passport.  For updates please visit the US Department of State.

Entry with a Criminal Record

Those admissible to Canada must NOT have a criminal record; this includes any convictions for driving while intoxicated. A waiver of exclusion may be obtained from a Canadian consulate in the United States, but several weeks are required, there is a processing fee for the waiver.

Tax Reimbursement

For US citizens leaving Canada, you have the right to be reimbursed for the taxes you paid on goods bought in Canada if these are taken outside the country within 60 days of purchase.

For information on the federal tax (HST) contact:

Canada Revenue Agency

1-800-668-4748 (toll free from anywhere in Canada) or 902-432-5608

Bringing Firearms into Canada

Generally, revolvers, pistols, fully automatic firearms and other weapons and self-defence spray (e.g. mace, pepper spray) are prohibited entry in Canada. Non-residents who wish to bring firearms into Canada for the purpose of pleasure hunting, but do not have a Canadian firearm permit must fill out the Non-resident Firearm Declaration Form. The duly completed form must then be presented to a customs officer. All firearms must be declared.

Hunters who are transporting firearms across the border are to make sure that their guns are calibrated properly, properly stored for transportation and that all ammunition is separate from the firearms. For more information on bringing firearms into Canada contact the Canadian Firearms Centre.

Bringing Pets into Canada

Dogs and cats from the United States must be accompanied by a certificate (in English or French) prepared and signed by a licensed veterinarian of Canada or the United States certifying that the animal has been vaccinated against rabies during the preceding 36 months. There is no waiting period between the time the animal is vaccinated against rabies and is imported into Canada. For more information contact the Canadian Food Inspection Agency at 1-888-732-6222.

Emergency Information

In emergency situations, contact the local police, ambulance service, fire department and other emergency services by dialing 911, a free call from any telephone. The news media and many tourist facilities cooperate with the RCMP to communicate urgent messages to visitors. If you see or hear your name, please phone the number given.

If you are a visitor to Canada, you should clarify what coverage your personal insurance carrier provides before you leave your home country and, if necessary, obtain additional health insurance before coming to Canada.


Canada uses the metric system. The following conversions may be useful:

  • 1 Canadian gallon = 4.5 litres
  • 1 American gallon = 3.8 litres
  • 1 Miles = 0.6 Kilometres
  • 86°F=30°C
  • 68°F=20°C

If you double the Celsius and add 32, this will give you a quick general calculation from Celsius to Fahrenheit.

For more information on customs offices and regulations when entering Canada, visit the the Canada Border Services Agency‘s website or, call 1-800-461-9999 (toll-free within Canada), or 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 from outside Canada (long-distance charges apply).